Five Skills You'll Need For an Internet of Things CareerCareer Resources, IoT & Tech
The Internet of Things is expected to be the biggest technology trend of our lifetime. CompTIA's annual workforce study shows that 62% of UK executives plan to increase their company's level of investment in IT products and services. However, success will be heavily dependent on the ability of businesses and organisations to plug the skills shortage. With demand for skills far exceeding supply, 44% of executives said they were some way short of where they wanted to be.
With that in mind, here are just five areas where we expect to see a significant increase in career opportunities in the years ahead:
- Big Data Management: Many devices, such as energy meters, will be designed with the aim of gathering significant amounts of data, analysing it and creating solutions. That level of data will almost certainly be beyond the capabilities of humans and so candidates with an understanding of big data will be highly sought after.
- Communication Skills: Having good communication skills has always been highly sought after, though the Internet of Things will make this even more crucial. Having the ability to explain complicated concepts and ideas will go a long way to persuading executives of their value.
- Artificial Intelligence: Whilst devices currently rely on significant user input, in the years ahead this will almost certainly be replaced with artificial intelligence. AI will help to make increasingly complicated decisions and developers with experience of applying AI to devices will therefore be highly valued by businesses and organisations.
- Security: 34 billion devices are expected to be connected to the internet by the end of the decade, with 24 billion of those likely to be IoT devices. As companies seek to protect their ever expanding networks, more than a million jobs for security professionals are expected to be created globally in the coming years.
- Mobile Applications: It is expected that many smart devices will be controllable via your smartphone, tablet or wearable technology. As a result, we will see an increase in demand for candidates who can demonstrate skills in mobile application development.
At People with Energy we have chosen to be at the forefront of the smart technology industry. With jobs available in both technology development and installation, our consultants have the contacts to help you take the next step in your career.
For a full list of the roles we are currently recruiting for, simply head over to our Vacancies Database. Alternatively, send a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch.